"Just not a shotgun layout". It's something I hear in virtually every 'get to know each other' coffee date I have with a first time home buyer. They're realistic about size, parking, ect. but the layout and condition are always sticking points for people.
So I am going to make the case for the Shotgun layout:
- I think it's nice to have the kitchen closest to the back porch! With as much outdoor entertaining as we do in New Orleans, it just makes sense that the kitchen would be located where you do the majority of your entertaining. Let's be honest how many people can you really fit in the living room of a shotgun cottage anyway...5, maybe 6?
- Hallways are a waste of space. I wish people would stop creating small, cramped, useless hallways. The end result is always a small private 'bedroom' that lacks function.
- It's an excuse to #treatyoself! If you know people will be walking through your room you have an excuse to splurge on your bedroom. Revel in the opportunity to buy adult furniture and bedding!
- 'What about my guests privacy?' How comfortable do you really want house-guests to be? I mean this is New Orleans, people are always looking to crash for one reason or another. Personally, I'm not trying to make there stay any more comfortable that it needs to be!
- This is a cute house - not your dream house. A shotgun cottage will never fulfill your want-list, it just can't. Lets stop trying to turn them into something they're not and love them for what they are: small. Small is fabulous [even preferred].
Photo Credits: Metro New Orleans Multiple Listing Service